An item minted on the blockchain can’t be “deleted” the same way you would delete a file or a folder from your personal computer, but you do have some options for handling NFTs you didn’t purchase or no longer want to show in your account.
This article outlines 3 options for removing an NFT:
- Deleting an item on OpenSea will remove it from the Collected tab on your profile
- Hiding an item on OpenSea will move it from the Collected tab to the Hidden tab
- “Burning” an item will remove it from your wallet entirely
Deleting an item
You can delete an item if you created it using OpenSea’s Shared Storefront. If the item is in your wallet (has never been sold or transferred) and the metadata is not frozen, you can follow these steps to remove it from showing in your collection:
- Navigate to the item page for the item you'd like to delete.
- In the upper right corner, click the Edit button.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the Delete item button.
- A pop-up window will appear, asking you to confirm. Click Delete item.
Hiding an item
When you hide an item, it will move to the Hidden tab, visible only to you on OpenSea.
- Navigate to the Collected tab in your OpenSea profile
- Select the item you'd like to hide.
- Click the Hide button at the bottom of the screen.
- You’ll see a message at the bottom of the screen confirming how many items were hidden from your profile.
You can always Unhide the NFT to move it back to your Collected tab. You can also follow these steps to report an unsolicited NFT as spam.
Burning an item
⚠️ Burning an NFT is irreversible and burned NFTs can’t be retrieved by anyone.
You should be certain you no longer want to own this NFT before burning it.
If you’d like to remove an item from your wallet entirely, you can “burn” it by sending it to a wallet address no one can access (a null address), making the NFT unusable. Burning an item is considered a transaction on the blockchain and will require gas fees.
You can follow these steps to “burn” an item:
1. Navigate to the item page for the item you'd like to transfer.
2. In the upper right corner, click the Transfer button.
3. Enter the burn address and click Transfer:
- Use 0x000000000000000000000000000000000000dEaD for ETH
- Use 0x0000000000000000000000000000000000000000 for Polygon
4. Confirm the signature request in your wallet and pay the required gas fee.
5. You’ll get a confirmation message once the item has been transferred. You can also view the confirmation on Etherscan or Polygonscan by searching for your wallet address and checking the Transactions tab.