Quickly Move Your Items to a Clean Wallet
⚠️ If you believe your wallet is compromised, the best action is to immediately move your items in your wallet to a non-compromised wallet. Once done, you can mark your wallet as compromised directly within OpenSea by navigating to Account Support in your profile settings.
Mark Your OpenSea Account as Compromised
If you're unable to quickly move your items to a new wallet, we’ve rolled out a feature on OpenSea to help users who believe their wallets have been compromised. We’ll walk you step-by-step on how to use the feature below.
This action will mark your account (which is associated with your wallet address) as compromised and disable NFTs in your wallet from being bought, sold, or transferred using OpenSea. Marking your account as compromised (even if you’ve safely moved your items to a new wallet) will also help notify other OpenSea users that the account has been marked compromised, letting them know they may not want to transact with the account.
However, it’s important to remember that OpenSea does not have custody of your NFTs at any point in time (the NFTs live on the blockchain, not in OpenSea’s systems). This means that marking your account as compromised will also not prevent your NFTs from being moved using other platforms or tools outside of OpenSea.
Securing your Account
- To get started, hover your mouse over your account profile picture and click on Settings in the dropdown menu.
- In Account Settings, you'll see the Account Support section.
- Select the Help with a compromised account option in the Account Support menu. After you select this option, you will be asked to describe your issue.
- After selecting your reason you'll be asked to tick a checkbox confirming that you understand that a sworn statement certified by a notary public will be required to unlock your account. Press the red Lock account button to continue.
- You'll be asked to confirm your decision in a pop-up window. This step will require you to type lock my account and press the Lock my account button to confirm your decision.
- After pressing the Lock my account button, you'll see a confirmation message appear in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- After your account has been locked, you'll note that a warning message will appear on NFTs held by the compromised wallet: These items cannot be bought or sold on OpenSea.