A blue checkmark on an account or collection means that it has been verified by OpenSea.
Whether an account gets verified on OpenSea is up to OpenSea’s discretion. The following guidelines are meant to give the community more predictability, but they don’t give a complete picture of our policies and procedures. We will always make the decision we believe is best for the space, based on the best information we can source.
Before we review a submitted account for verification, we require the account at a minimum to:
- Be active, defined as buying or selling one or more NFTs within the past three months
- Have an email address configured
- Have a profile picture and banner configured
- Not be previously restricted for violating OpenSea’s terms of service.
Account verification review eligibility is concentrated on accounts in four categories:
1) Accounts created by or closely involving people or companies that are notable in art, entertainment, technology, music, sports, gaming, news, politics, or activism.
The account must be an official effort of or officially endorsed by the underlying notable entity. Examples: Ai Weiwei, Shawn Mendes, Rob Gronkowski, Nadeshot, Time Magazine, Malala Yousafzai
2) Accounts with uncommonly notable artistic, technical, or social innovations or merit.
Examples: Richerd, Simon de la Rouviere, Robness
3) Accounts with an urgent and unusually severe fraud risk.
Examples: Budweiser, Damien Hirst, The Boston Celtics
4) Accounts already verified by established social media platforms.
Some accounts won't be eligible for verification review. Some factors that make an account ineligible for review:
- Accounts that engage in or indicate a willingness to engage in manipulative or deceptive buying, selling, bidding, and offering
- Accounts that create collections that use copyrighted material or trademarks without a license, or use material that infringes on protected rights of publicity
- Accounts that are regularly operated by users under 18 years old, even if the account belongs to a parent or guardian in accordance with our TOS
- Any account that violates OpenSea’s terms of service.
Whether an account gets verified on OpenSea is up to OpenSea’s discretion. An account might be determined to be ineligible for verification even if it does not meet one of the ineligibility criteria listed above. OpenSea reserves the right to add ineligibility factors at any time.
Loss of Verification
If you engage in conduct that would disqualify you from account verification eligibility, you might lose your verified status. OpenSea reserves the right to remove verified status at any time for any reason and without notice.
We may also remove verification status for accounts that are found to be in violation of our terms of service.
In some cases, violations may result in an account not only losing verified status but also being banned from OpenSea.
Blue checkmarks are reserved for collections created by high-profile public figures or organizations.
If you are not a high-profile public figure or organization, your collection must first reach a trading volume of 100 ETH or more on OpenSea, and have all collections items revealed to qualify for collection verification review. That said, reaching this trading threshold alone does not ensure a collection will be automatically verified.
After reaching this threshold, OpenSea may request additional information to confirm the authenticity of collection and individuals involved.
Examples may include:
- Draft files of the collection/NFT items.
- Contact information.
Even if a project meets the threshold, OpenSea reserves the right to decline verification as well as remove verification if the collection is not in line with our community guidelines.
Furthermore, OpenSea does not verify spin-off, homage, or remix collections at this time. This is done to protect users from misinterpreting such collections as having an official relationship with the original collection.
⚠️ Please double check when you see a blue checkmark before purchasing an NFT. A legitimate blue checkmark collection will display "Verified Collection" when you hover the mouse over the checkmark.
Verified collection items will also display a blue checkmark when browsing the marketplace.
How to apply for verification
If your account or collection meets the criteria for verification listed above, submit a request here. Thank you!