Wrapped Ethereum (WETH) is used to buy and sell with auctions on OpenSea. WETH is a currency that allows users to make pre-authorized bids that can be fulfilled at a later date without any further action from the bidder. ETH and WETH are worth exactly the same amount and can be exchanged directly on your OpenSea profile.
This guide explains:
- How to exchange ETH for WETH on OpenSea
- How to add WETH as a token in your MetaMask
Exchanging ETH for WETH on OpenSea
You can follow these steps to exchange ETH into WETH:
1. Navigate to the top-right corner of OpenSea and click the Wallet icon.
2. Click the three-dot menu for Ethereum and select Wrap.
3. In the pop-up window, enter how much ETH you'd like to convert to WETH.
4. Click Wrap ETH.
5. A MetaMask window will appear, asking you to sign the transaction.
6. Once the wrap is complete, you'll see the following message:
Following a successful conversation, WETH will appear in the wallet portion of your OpenSea account. You'll be able to clearly see the difference between WETH and ETH, as WETH has a pink Ethereum diamond logo.
During the bidding process, you'll also be able to add more WETH to your wallet by clicking Convert ETH.
Adding WETH to your wallet (MetaMask)
WETH may not appear by default on your MetaMask. To add WETH, click on the MetaMask extension and click the Add Token button at the bottom of the window.
Type WETH into the Add Tokens search box. You should see Wrapped Ether (WETH) show up as an option.
After confirming, you should see WETH appear in your item list on the MetaMask extension.