Freezing your metadata permanently locks and stores it on decentralized file storage, which allows your data to be accessible for other clients to view and use. This means your item will forever be safely stored and will never be lost or missing.
This guide will walk you through the metadata freezing workflow, which can be accessed in the collection editor.
What metadata does this include?
When you freeze your metadata, the following information will be locked:
- item name
- media (JPG, PNG, GIF, SVG, MP4, WEBM, MP3, WAV, OGG, GLB, GLTF)
- properties, levels, and stats
Everything will be frozen except for your added unlockable content, which is content that can only be revealed by the owner of the item.
How much does it cost to freeze my metadata?
OpenSea does not charge to freeze your metadata, however, you will have to pay for gas to process this action.
How do I freeze my metadata?
- Navigate to the item you'd like to freeze and click Edit.
- Scroll down to the Freeze metadata heading.
- Turn on the feature by clicking the toggle.
- Once the toggle is on, click Freeze.
5. Click Continue to confirm that all of your content is exactly as you want it. Once frozen, your content cannot be edited or removed as it is permanently stored on decentralized file storage.
6. The metadata freezing process can take a few minutes. You can follow the progress in the pop-up window.
7. Complete the freezing process by signing your wallet and confirming the gas fee. Once processed, your data is frozen.
How can I confirm my metadata is frozen?
Once your data is frozen, you can confirm this in two places. You can see the confirmation when editing your item the under the Freeze metadata heading.
You can also confirm your metadata is frozen in the Details section on the public item page.